The founding fathers & mothers of Christ’s Church in Trumbauersville were of German origin. Between 1727 and 1759 more than fifty thousand German immigrants came to Pennsylvania through the port of Philadelphia. Many of these immigrants were of the Lutheran and Reformed faiths. As the population grew the peoples' desire for a place to worship quickened. Churches, many of them a joint endeavor of the Reformed and Lutheran Congregations, began to dot the countryside.
1766 Original cemetery was part of the one-acre tract purchased from Andrew Trumbour. It’s not known who was first laid to rest in the acre, but a survey in 1960 shows a stone for Anna Huber (1722-1748), which was 20 years before the church acquired this property, and may have been a factor in the selection of this particular site.
1768 Christ’s Lutheran Church was organized
“This was eight years before Thomas Jefferson wrote the most famous of all American documents – the ‘declaration of Independence.’ It was before our forefathers rebelled against taxation without representation. It was a period of our history when the Indians still roamed about, at a time when some of
our present fertile fields were still the red man’s hunting grounds; at a time when our beloved country, although it was no doubt the land of the brave, it was by no means the land of the free, and it no doubt cost them many a sacrifice and self-denial to erect their humble house of worship. But they had faith in God and to their humble effort God added his blessing and their labors were crowned with success.”
Excerpt from 125 th anniversary held on September 17, 1893
The first church was a log building and was the spiritual home of the congregation until 1805 (a period of 36 years). It was dedicated on May 4, 1769.
From the beginning, the property had been jointly owned and used by our continuing congregations of Lutheran and Reformed.
The Pastors during this time period were:
1768-1771 Rev. Phillip Heinrich Rapp: (PK) served Trumbauersville for 3 years. He was ordained by the Pastor at Old Goshenhoppen (an opponent of Muhlenberg). He served both Trumbauersville & Tohickon.
1771-1792 Rev. Peter Friederich Niemeyer: (born in Wismar, Sweden) (21 year) He also served the Springfield Congregation at Pleasant Valley and St. Matthew's at Kellers Church from 1774-1783.
1792-1793 Rev. Christian Espich: (Ordained in Europe & licensed in PA) He also served New Goshenhoppen (Six Cornered Church)